Re: lynx-dev Keep-Alive

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Keep-Alive
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:41:08 +0100 (BST)

> I have a need for a browser to use in a point of sale application that runs on
> DOS and one of the key functions is doing price lookups which need to be
> quick,
> under one second.  The connect and reconnect times blow about 2 seconds.

I suspect that your problem is the DNS lookups.  You might want to use
a local hosts file if you can't run on a *nix system.  You should only
have one extra handshake, which should be under 300ms over modems, if
the names are already resolved (if you are worried about performance,
you are already running the link at well under 50% utilisation, or use
a fast, digital link, so queuing delays should not be a problem).

Keep-Alive requires a lot of extra complexity that will only benefit very
few people.  (You have to cope with a collision between a close of the
connection by the server and a new request from the client.  As repeating
a POST can cause double transactions, one has to get this right.)