Re: lynx-dev lynx bug?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx bug?
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:15:04 -0400

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:25:19PM -0400, Kai Shih wrote:
> Hi,
>       I'm running Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2 on a red hat box (though I can
> duplicate the same behavior on my newer Mandrake box, as well).
>       I've tried to find some references to this problem on the web, but
> haven't had much success.  I'd appreciate any help from the community on
> this one!
>       When I add the '-base' option to some source dumps, I get a bunch
> of gibberish characters:

I can see this, too.  Odd.  I used 'file' to see what the output is,
and get this:

gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969, os:
MS-DOS

So I ran that through zcat ("gzip -dc -") and got a recognizable webpage.
Running lynx -trace shows this in the trace, which is probably related:

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: excite.com
Accept: text/html, text/plain, application/x-troff-man, text/x-archive,
image/jpeg, image/*, text/sgml, video/mpeg, application/postscript, */*;q=0.01
Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress

That is, lynx tells excite.com that it can read gzip'd data, and excite.com
sends it that way - but lynx doesn't uncompress the output that it writes
to stdout.  (Sounds like a bug in lynx).  But it only happens when there's
a -base option.

>       > lynx -source excite.com
>       <head>
>       <title>My Excite Start Page</title>
>       </head>
>       etc...
>
>       > lynx -base -source excite.com
>       (gibberish stuff returned)
>
>       Does anyone have suggestions for me?  I'd really appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
> Kai

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com