Re: MacOSX (was "Re: lynx-dev ASCII approximations")

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: MacOSX (was "Re: lynx-dev ASCII approximations")
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:51:59PM -0700, Patrick wrote:
>> Actually, with the release of MacOSX porting might be a lot easier
>> than it was.  OSX is apparently built over a Berkley UNIX base.
>> [I'm guessing a BSD kernel with the Mac GUI for a shell.]  In fact,
>> if some sort of terminal program is supplied, there may be very
>> little work required to make Lynx run here.
>
>It's BSD with a filesystem that ignores the case of filenames.  That's

That is not exactly accurate.

The default filesystem for Mac OS X local volumes is HFS+, which indeed
is case insensitive.

However, you can also use UFS and NFS and probably a lot of others that
I don't know about.

>not a problem.  Some people have made ncurses build on OS X, iirc finding
>a problem with the C preprocessor.

The default compiler is gcc..

Hmm, the lynx we have compiled here in a public directory (i.e. not installed
with the system) is 2.7, compiled in Jul 2000.  I've also compiled links and
pine and a bunch of other cool UNIX stuff on OSX.