Re: lynx-dev Error messages and nls

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Error messages and nls
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:24:18 +0900 (JST)

> Would it be possible that display charset could also be applied to error
> messages and things like that?
>
> When I start lynx in french with display charset cp850, characters are
> correct on the document, but are bad on status line (accentuated

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area (or any area for that matter :),
but I am aware of a problem with multi-byte characters and the status line
in particular.  How about other messages, for example the P)rint menu.
If you have your _system_ charset defined correctly those should work
without problem.  If they do, then it definitely is status line specific
since the gettext function would be doing the same for all messages.
Does one or the other of the characters show up okay if you put two
accented characters (multi-byte) next to each other or with exactly one
ascii character between two multi-byte characters?

If you follow up, please indicate the version and port of Lynx you are
using.  You might also try with links numbered or not numbered.  Another
test of whether you have your system charset defined correctly would be
to put some French in your lynx.cfg file, and see if it is displayed
correctly, e.g., on the P)rint menu, something like:

PRINTER:some accentuated characters here:/usr/local/bin/most "%s":FALSE

__Henry