Re: lynx-dev MacLynx

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev MacLynx
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 07:27:28 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev MacLynx"
[25/Aug/2001Sat 20:32:22]
Philip Webb wrote:

> > Is there a reverse of the key map?
>
> not really: LHFB is intended to help a bit in that area ...

Hmm, does this sound like a good idea?  There are 2 lines of help
text in Beginner mode already.  What about having an option where
typing a command brings up some descriptive text in those two lines
first, then waits for you to hit Return before clearing the text
and acting on the command.  It would add delays, but at the very
beginning it might be useful.  These strings already exist, so
there's no need to rewrite them: the same ones used to generate
a Keymap page.

Oh, all right.  At least I kept the "silly distractions" part down
to one paragraph this time...

> no:  lynx.cfg  is an essential file which allows users to customise Lynx:
> there's a list of key-bindings there which you can alter if you wish.

It's a lot like a preferences file, and so is the lynxrc file created
when you save settings from the Options page.  Except these are
plain, editable text.

[from previous message]
> So much for my "Save to a local file" option experience; it turns out that
> the Lynx_users_guide.txt file created is too large to be opened by
> SimpleText. That isn't a problem as I found the original
> Lynx_users_guide.html file in the lynx_help folder.

I doubt anything's wrong with the file, it's just SimpleText's
32 k limit.  There are several text editors which might be a nicer
for large documents.  BBEdit Lite and Tex-Edit Plus, for example
[no relation to TeX -- the author's probably from Texas...].  lynx.cfg
is also too big for SimpleText, so you'll probably find a need
for text editors without a size limit.

> No, I don't think I can email from MacLynx.

You're right, but it can read settings from Internet Config and
act on them.  If you have a helper set up for mail, then a mailto
URL in a link will be passed to that application.  Same with FTP
and other kinds of links.  Try launching Internet Config, and click
the "Helpers" panel of the main window.  You can probably learn
more from looking at the default settings than listening to me,
so I'll just leave it at that.

> yes, that must be an older version or designed for a Mac,
> but you can add your own printer definitions, which can include e-mail:
> look at  lynx.cfg  for 2-8-4 to get well-written instructions.  eg i have:
>   PRINTER:E-mail file using Mutt:mutt -i %s %s:TRUE
>   PRINTER:Use Most to view:most -k +s %s:TRUE:23
>   PRINTER:Edit file:/usr/local/bin/vim %s:TRUE
> of course, you would have to define Mac software to do these jobs.

Sorry, I've had no luck defining custom printers in MacLynx.  But
downloaders tend to fill in the gaps...  sort of.

And they're defined differently:

# The definition of a downloader is of the form:
# DOWNLOADER:{downloader name}:{downloader command}:{downloader option}
#
# {downloader name}
#       Is what you see in the Download menu.
#
# {downloader command}
#       On the MacOS, the downloader command is the signature of the
#       application. Application is launched and document is opened
#       with an Open AppleEvent.
#
# {downloader option}
#       A TRUE/FALSE switch that doesn't seem to make much difference
#       either way. Set TRUE here to avoid confusion.
#
DOWNLOADER:Load Internally:OlG1:TRUE
DOWNLOADER:Open with SimpleText:ttxt:TRUE
DOWNLOADER:Open with Adobe™ Acrobat Reader:CARO:TRUE

[Just a note on "Load Internally:OlG1"; that's MacLynx's own application
signature.  Handy for loading pages sent in charests that MacLynx
doesn't recognize, insisting on a "D)ownload or C)ancel?" option.]

> >> you can get basic training from my document `Lynx Help for Beginners'
> >> at  www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/lhfb.html .

Very nice, but one warning for the Mac: DON'T exit to shell.  There
is no shell, because MacLynx uses its own built-in terminal emulator.
All the "quit" commands work as you'd expect though.

> > Thanks for the referral. I still have a bit more studying to do.
>
> LHFB is designed for someone at your present level,
> but remember that 2-7-1 is rather out-of-date by LHFB's standard.
[...]
> there are binaries (pre-compiled) for the Unices (incl Linux),
> which you could try out on the Mac, since OS-X is a UNIX clone.

Has anyone tried running pre-compiled BSD binaries on OSX?  Just
wondered.

But from his machine specs earlier, I'm sure he's on a 680x0 Mac,
not PPC.  OSX won't run on it or mine, but NetBSD and a test version
of Linux should work.  Note: last time I read about it, the 68k
Linux system was in early beta as well, and came with some pretty
harsh warnings for the potential user.

> if you know anything re C, you could try fixing 2-8-4 to run on a Mac,
> which would certainly be welcomed by Lynx supporters
> & would probably get some advice & help from lynx-dev more generally.

That reminds me: the MacLynx source is in a StuffIt archive.  Would
anyone want it re-packed as .tar.gz ?  Instead of mailing it anywhere,
I could just leave it on the webserver and let you know where to
grab it.

                             Patrick
                   <mailto:address@hidden>
                <http://www.island.net/~pboylan/>