lynx-dev lynx startup under Windows ME bringing up the modem dialer

From: vtailor
Subject: lynx-dev lynx startup under Windows ME bringing up the modem dialer
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:01:05 -0400

Oh gee, with the Explorer 5.5 upgrade came a new surprise with using
lynx.exe.  If you start lynx.exe, give it a URL, then press return,
the modem dialer comes up if the modem is not already connected.  Only,
with lynx.exe, the modem dialer can be _behind_ the Dos window, not in
front, the way it is with other Windows apps.

Well, so what, a little finger exercise never hurts, say I.  But the
latest thing from Microshaft involves a modem startup where the URL
goes away upon connect.  Either this is a too-fast name lookup timeout
in the code (60 seconds was the value that used to work when I first
modified the lynx.exe code to wait for lookups the way it does under
Unix), or there is some other unspecified problem that happens while
all that wonderful threading is going on.