Re: lynx-dev base address of frame

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev base address of frame
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:42:56 +0100 (BST)

> there again. I cannot teach 100 people how to write HTML. Is there some way
> to make Lynx accept '\' in address?

This error will break the page on Netscape as well, and, I'm almost certain
on Amaya, and probably on most other non-Microsoft browsers.  They need
to learn!

I suspect Lynx does accept the illegal character '\' in URLs but its error
recovery is to send it to the server without treating it as special,
whereas IE will treat it as a synonym for '/', at least for the purposes of
relative URL resolution.

As it is illegal, I guess the error recovery could be changed, but I would
want Lynx to flash an "invalid URL" message, similar to the one about there
being "../" at the beginning of a URL after relative URL resolution.  (I
suspect that there is currently no active error recovery and it is simply
treated as though a valid, but normal, character.)

If IE passes it through untranslated, it will break if the site is moved
to a Unix server.