Re: lynx-dev Using lynx as a filter

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Using lynx as a filter
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 16:05:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Miroslaw J. Wiechowski wrote:

> Message from Thomas Dickey [15:53 03/09/01]:
> >On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 03:14:05PM +0200, Miroslaw J. Wiechowski wrote:
> >> Message from Thomas Dickey at 01-09-03 02:44 PM:

> >> Yes! That's was exactly the reason.
> >>
> >> Thank you very much for your help.
> >
> >no problem (don't forget to apply the post-release bugfixes for 2.8.4 also).
>
> Sorry for stupid question... how do I do it?
> I have no experience with the patch program...

a patch is the output of the 'diff' program.  the 'patch' program uses
that as a script, to apply editing changes to the related files.  I
would apply a patch using GNU patch 2.5, for example:

        a) all of the patches I generate for lynx (and other programs) are
           done by running diff on the new/old top-level directories.
           For example:
                diff -u -r lynx2.8.4rel.1 lynx2.8.4rel.1a >foo
        b) patch has an option to ignore a given number of directory
           levels (-p).
        c) the simplest way to apply a patch is to cd to the top-level
           directory and use the -p option to ignore one level,
                cd lynx2.8.4rel.1
                patch -p1 <foo

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>