Re: lynx-dev : help sought with lynx -dump

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev : help sought with lynx -dump
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 07:45:43 -0400

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 07:21:29AM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> This is getting ridiculous! I also have to override the user's $HOME/.lynxrc
> file - any ideas on how to do that?

probably by constructing a wrapper script, which sets $HOME to a directory
that contains the modified .lynxrc - something like

#!/bin/sh
# lynx -dump w/o numbers
: ${TMPDIR-/tmp}
: ${HOME-`pwd`}
oldmask=`umask`
umask 077
MYTMP=$TMPDIR/mytmp$$
mkdir $MYTMP || exit 1
trap 'rm -rf $MYTMP' 0 1 2 5 15
if test $HOME/.lynxrc ; then
  cp $HOME/.lynxrc $MYTMP/.lynxrc
fi
echo 'keypad_mode=NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS' >> $MYTMP/.lynxrc
HOME=$MYTMP; export HOME
lynx -dump -nolist $*

You could do the same with $LYNX_CFG if needed, of course.

> Sheesh - it is so painful to get lynx to just do what I want it to do.

well, there's two problems: (a) that the feature that you want to manipulate
isn't a command-line option - but lynx has too many - and (b) that this
particular feature is associated with more than one setting.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net