Re: lynx-dev Why deleting config.cache?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why deleting config.cache?
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 18:21:30 -0400

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 12:02:05AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > >       Hi. It seems that Lynx285dev3's configure script will delete
> > >    the config.cache file. Why? I deleted it in 282dev2 and problems
> > >    with rand/srand are gone, but now that new config.cache file created
> > >    can be reused for future configure scripts I think. It's much
> > >    faster using a cache file that configuring from scratch. Bye!
> >
> > I did that because there are several tests that the configure script makes
> > which are difficult to make rerunnable (and sharing configure results across
> > different tools doesn't really work, since there are cases where the tools
> > use the information in conflicting ways:  the only cases where I'm aware
> > that it _does_ work are (a) trivial scripts or (b) scripts written by the
> > same developers).
>

> BTW: autoconf >= 2.50 does no longer create a config.cache unless you do
>      explicitely enable it.

I'm aware of that but also seem to recall that >2.50 has broken AC_CHECK_LIB,
so I'm not recommending its use until I've checked for that as well as retesting
the script to see what other breakage I should fix.  (Between seeing 2.5x
degrade rapidly into a nonconverging series of alpha releases - "2.52e" was
cited as a "release" - and lack of time on my part, I've not done that).

while I'm replying to you (you seem to be the new Debian package maintainer
for lynx):

I notice a shift in the Debian bug-reporting system: it used to be stated that
completed bugs would be removed when no further discussion had taken place
for a month.  However, much of the list for lynx is in that category.  (It
makes it hard to spot bugs that I haven't tried to fix).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net