Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:33:22 -0400

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 06:11:21PM +0200, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:
> Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > That's still a lot of diskspace (I've made ~160 patches to lynx).
> > My compressed rcs archive for lynx is only about 4Mb - actually the
> > largest of the ones I keep an archive for.
>
> I am not familiar with rcs (I am not a developer, you know). Do

CVS uses RCS files to store multiple versions.  Usually the changes to
a given file are much smaller than the actual file.  (And compressing
the archive, as I do when I'm not actively working on a given program,
saves a lot of space).  I understand that Mutt for example is maintained
with CVS (the distinction between the two is that CVS handles some of
the problems that arise when multiple developers wish to make changes -
for the type of development I'm doing, RCS is almost always the better
choice).  Lynx's archives on lynx.isc.org are stored using PRCS which
is much simpler to use than CVS.  (Neither PRCS nor CVS is particularly
friendly if one makes an error checking things in - with RCS one can
undo things and amend them).

> you mean to say that you can install/uninstall random versions
> of Lynx with any of the ~160 patches you desire? In that case
> it sounds interesting maybe even for non-developers; there are
> certain programs such as for instance Mutt where a lot of
> patches one might like to try out could be handled this way.

yes/no (I don't have enough diskspace on my ftp area to make it publicly
available).  But it's useful to me to be able to verify things.

The comparable PRCS archive on lynx.isc.org is larger, iirc.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net