Re: lynx-dev annoying blinking of lynx with ncurses

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev annoying blinking of lynx with ncurses
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:01:55 +0900

From: Hataguchi Takeshi <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 01:05:14 +0900 (JST)

> I don't know well about this problem, but it's probably a problem that
> some curses library can't process multibyte characters well.
>
> In LYRefreshEdit, there is a repainting which may be agaist this problem.
> When I removed this repainting, I found a strange behavior like below.
>
>   1. Enter the 4 Japanese letters in a form (fig3).
>   2. Delete the first letter and then I found the last letter became
>     another character, which was not expected there (fig4).
>
>     fig3: http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/tmp/lynx/fig3.png
>     fig4: http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/tmp/lynx/fig4.png
>
> I think this patch will improve this problem and reduce the
> whole page blinkings.  It's for 2.8.5dev.2.

I tested the patch with lynx 2.8.5dev.3 and lynx 2.8.4rel.1b.

It seems the patch fixed the problem almost completely
and reduced the whole page blinking very well, as far as
I tested.

And it seems there is no side-effect for lynx with slang library.

The only one problem I found is; when I setted

EXTERNAL:ftp:w3m %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:file:w3m %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:w3m %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:wget %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:wget -r %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:ftp:netscape %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:file:netscape %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:netscape %s:TRUE

and press , (comma key) then small window appeared in top right
corner to select external commands and I pressed enter key
(i.e. select w3m) then the characters which was covered under
the small window appeared again but they were not correct (i.e.
Mojibake occured!).

Of course, this happend in Japanese pages.

It seems the problem occured on kterm but not on krxvt
(but not so sure yet...).

# I tested with only http://www.linet.gr.jp/~mituiwa/

Best regards,                   2001.10.15

 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.