lynx-dev Re: tiny Web servers for lynx testing

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: lynx-dev Re: tiny Web servers for lynx testing
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:02:10 -0600 (MDT)

Ilya Zakharevich <address@hidden> writes on Wed, 17 Oct 2001
12:47:28 -0400:

>>  wrote *my own* 20-lines-of-code web server ...

This is a handy thing to do, because you can do standalone testing
with much more control than you have with remote servers.

There is a rather nice, and well-documented, tiny Web server in
chapter 14 of this recent book:

@String{pub-ORA                 = "O'Reilly \& {Associates, Inc.}"}
@String{pub-ORA:adr             = "981 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA 02164,
USA"}

@Book{Robbins:2001:EAP,
  author =       "Arnold Robbins",
  title =        "Effective {AWK} Programming",
  publisher =    pub-ORA,
  address =      pub-ORA:adr,
  edition =      "Third",
  pages =        "xxiv + 421",
  year =         "2001",
  ISBN =         "0-596-00070-7",
  LCCN =         "QA76.73.A95 R63 2001",
  bibdate =      "Fri Sep 28 14:47:35 2001",
  price =        "US\$39.95",
  URL =          "http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/awkprog3/";,
  acknowledgement = ack-nhfb,
}

The material is available in the awklib/eg/network directory of the
GNU gawk distribution at

        ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gawk-3.1.10.tar.gz

so you don't have to type anything in by hand.

Arnold has done a great job with this book, and with the gawk program.
The book (and online info files) describe some important new features
for socket I/O that are very cleanly implemented, and very little
known or appreciated (yet).

[Disclaimer: I'm a gawk beta tester, a Robbins book draft reviewer,
and a (very) long-time awk user, porter, and tester, and I must
confess to having rather warm and fuzzy feelings about awk.  It is a
splendid little language. Some other languages produce a lump in my
stomach.]

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- Department of Mathematics, 322 INSCC      address@hidden  address@hidden -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -