Re: lynx-dev Latin-1 gettext translation does not work in UTF-8 mode

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Latin-1 gettext translation does not work in UTF-8 mode
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:17:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Then the status line at the bottom has (when it's a long start page) a
> translated version of "press space for next page" but displays some kind
> of rectangle instead of the letters "ü" and "ä".

"some sort of rectangle" sounds like a font issue (the UTF-8 fonts are
missing a lot of glyphs, but if they're not installed, you'll see many
more missing characters).

It may also be a problem with poorly-constructed UTF-8 output from lynx.
But the fix for that, as I said last week, is to make lynx use the
wide-character configuration of ncurses.  I've done about 1/3 of the
work for that, and if the other 2/3 goes well, will have that working
for dev.4 (then we can find bugs in that ;-).

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net