Re: lynx-dev MSN vs. Opera?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev MSN vs. Opera?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:26:05 -0500

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 10:46:11AM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello, Lyncei
>
> CNN Headline News last night was crawling a story that concurrent with
> the release of WinXP, MSN had modified its server to be more hostile to
> non-IE browsers.  Chief victim was reported to be Opera.  Has anyone heard
> more of this?  Is Lynx affected?

I thought that was (relatively) old news (e.g., a few months old).  I've been
using Opera in place of Netscape for some sites (though it doesn't do
JavaScript afaik, so it can't replace Netscape), and have seen the usual ones
which offer to upgrade my browser.  There was a followup which amounted to a
disclaimer by someone at M$ which stated that other browsers would work, but
the "experience" wouldn't be as good.  (Terminology like that leaves me
with the impression that they don't have anything of interest to me on their
site, except some interesting pitfalls).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net