Re: lynx-dev Download does not Allow Save

From: Arun Prabhakaran
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download does not Allow Save
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:19:49 -0500 (GMT)

Hi,

   Your assumptions about the network is right.

   Thanx for the info. Yup, the downloaded file was there in the /tmp folder.
But the name of the file was a random name. Ok, I can take it and rename it. I
tried to set the SAVE_SPACE variable. Lynx offered me the path when I did the
save; But still the same problem. It doesnt save to that folder. Can you guys
tell me what else I have to do?

Arun

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, James Phillips wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry about the long delay before responding. I will be more
> specific with the advice I gave on October 10th, 2001. I am
> assuming the following connection to the internet:
>
>    internet
>       | ppp
>    proxy/firewall/router
>  |------------------------------------
>  |        Company network (TCP/IP?)
> Workstation
>   running
>   LYNX
>

> Compare the following entry between the two lynx.cfg files:
>
> # If SAVE_SPACE is defined, it will be used as a path prefix for the
> # suggested filename in "Save to Disk" operations from the 'p'rint or
> # 'd'ownload menus.  On VMS, you can use either VMS (e.g.,
> "SYS$LOGIN:")
> # or Unix syntax (including '~' for the HOME directory).  On Unix,
> you
> # must use Unix syntax.  If the symbol is not defined, or is
> zero-length
> # (""), no prefix will be used, and only a filename for saving in the
> # current default directory will be suggested.
> # This definition will be overridden if a "LYNX_SAVE_SPACE"
> environment
> # variable has been set on Unix, or logical has been defined on VMS.
> #
> #SAVE_SPACE:~/foo/
>
> Another thing you may want to try is to check /usr/tmp/ (or
> where ever temporary files are stored). If the file shows
> up there, you can manually copy and and rename it to whatever
> place you want. (LYNX is supposed to do this for you, with
> the SAVE_SPACE environment variable.)
>
> You do not need to use kermit or Zmodem unless you are using your
> workstation as a "dumb terminal"; making a text connection to some
> central server running LYNX.
>
> hope this helps,
>
> -james
>

> :   From address@hidden Thu Oct 11 03:58:25 2001
> :   Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:23:18 -0500 (GMT)
> :   From: "Arun Prabhakaran" <address@hidden> | Block Address
> :   To: address@hidden
> :   Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download does not Allow Save
> :I am able to view pages outside my proxy. Unless, I want to view
> :grtaphics on
> :the web, I always use lynx. I downloaded my new version of lynx from
> :sunfreeware.com . But my problem as I said is that, I press the 'D'
> :key to
> :download a file, it downloads and prompts me to save. Then when I
> :give the path
> :to save, it says that it is doing a save. But when I check the path,
> :there is no
> :file there ... Secondly, I dont know to use kermit or zmodem,
> :although I
> :downloaded kermit and tried to download with it. but it didnt help,
> :since I was
> :not able to do it.
> :
> :Arun

> [...]

The day when Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck,
will probably be the day they start to make vaccuum cleaners.
                                         -- Anon