Re: lynx-dev Lynx and Slang

From: Patrick Ash
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and Slang
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 17:45:15 +0000

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:07:50 -0500 (EST), Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

>> Has someone compiled a recent version of lynx using slang library.
>> If yes, could he give the configure flags he used, I cannot succeed doing
>> it!
>> (just want to build to se differences with ncurses).

Michel,

I built lynx 2.8.4 rel.1 with the slang libraries when I built t
slang 1.4.4 for Os/2. I wanted to see if the library was correct, and
lynx was the only app I had that could use slang.

As I recall, I had to do some modifications to get it to compile.
First, the slang library is called libslang.a when built, but I
beleive that lynx looks for slang.a. I also think that I had to hide
ncurses from the compile, or it would try to use that even though I
had used the slang flag in the configure script.

>on OS/2 ? (I've done it, not recently - it's one of those things that I
>do occasionally, just to ensure that I haven't broken anything).  The
>differences that you would see are:
>
>a) does not support color style
>
>b) colors are brighter (though Ilya added a change for the ncurses
>configuration which does essentially the same thing), and
>
>c) arrow- and function-keys do not work.

In addition to the above, there was no mouse support in the version I
built, and the terminal type made a lot of difference in the way lynx
behaved.

I will be uploading a new slang package to hobbes and unix-os2 soon,
just a repackaging of the version I previously built. It will be a
little cleaner, and more in keeping with the unix directory
structure. Good luck.

Pat