Re: lynx-dev -traversal -dump

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -traversal -dump
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:48:28 +0000 (GMT)

> > worked perfectly all right till the time a small flash snippet was added
> > on to the site -which checked for a cookie and depending on it-- displayed
> > the flash snippet followed by the logon screen or went onto the logon

That's even worse that Javascript, or did you really mean Javascript?

Basically that site would result in an abandoned splash screen
visit from me, even when accessed from IE.  Even if there were
a bypass for the Flash, the presence of the Flash would give me
a very negative first impression of the site; sites with Flash are
almost invariably badly designed and lacking in real content depth,
even though Flash can be used for legitimate animations (such use
is so rare as to be almost non-existent).

What might win over your management is that I probably wouldn't get
to the site in the first place as most, if not all, search engine
indexers will fail to get beyond the splash page, either!

You seem to be in the UK and, whilst disability discrimination
legislation exists, it has not been used in the way that Section
508 is being used in the USA or the Australians used it against
the Olympics site....yet.

> This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of
> legal professional privilege.  Any disclosure, use, storage or copying

I would point out that this list is publically archived, so the use
of this disclaimer, especially without a disclaimer disclaimer, tends
to set a precedent for its not really being meant.

Please don't do this on public mailing lists.