Re: lynx-dev what kind of files lynx can transfer?

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev what kind of files lynx can transfer?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:20:44 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, David Woolley said:

> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:52:21 +0000 (GMT)
>
> In the real world FTP is generally only used for executables and source
> archives, i.e. the more technical and older uses.  Even then,
> Microsoft service packs and installers are, I believe, normally transported
> using HTTP.

A benefit of HTTP is that the MIME headers, particularly Content-type:
guide the client in the disposition of the content.

A possible disadvantage of HTTP is that (it appears to me) the client
receives no explicit notification of a truncated file or interrupted
transfer.  Is this true?  Does FTP do better in this respect because
of its two-socket protocol?

> FTP (as against web browser ftp:) works in terms of the host filesystem's
> actual directory naming scheme, rather than mapping it onto a Unix like,
> /-delimited, one.

RFC 1738 specifies URL handling by the client that avoids such
mapping.  Unfortunately, the Big Two flout RFC 1738 here, and
Lynx goes with the flow unless the server identifies itself as VAX.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL