lynx-dev I broke my lynx

From: Alper Ersoy
Subject: lynx-dev I broke my lynx
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 07:27:58 +0200

Hi,

A long time ago I did something to my system, and since then, Lynx renders
pages unreadable. The problem is, I don't remember at which point it
stopped working ok.

Assume that we have this portion of a very simple HTML file:

 This is the first line.<br>
 This is the second line.<br>

Lynx renders the file like this:

This the first line. This is the second line. Here we have a very short
paragraph.

Everything on one line. Very long unordered lists, paragraphs, whatever
I throw at it, it puts them on a single line. The only tags that get a
seperate line is <h*> (and probably others, but this one is significant).
The pages are justified, all the lines touch both ends and words are
wrapped ok.

Lynx is 2.8.5dev.3, tho I experienced the same behavior with a quite
older version, too. The old one was linked against ncurses 4, and this
one is linked against ncurses 5.2. The distro is an old (which already
became unsupported) SuSE 6.2. Same thing happens on both a text console
and a xterm (gnome-terminal also). Even tho I'm quite positive that it's
irrelevant, linux kernel is 2.4.12-ac1, in case it matters. The compiler
I used is gcc 2.91.66, and glibc is 2.1.3.

I hope somebody out there can shed some light on this tasteless and odd
situation.

Kind Regards,
--
Alper Ersoy