Re: lynx-dev linebreaks in attributes

From: Dick Wesseling
Subject: Re: lynx-dev linebreaks in attributes
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:36:20 +0100

address@hidden said:
> Are you sure?

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html section "6.2 SGML basic
types"

> I was under the impression that HTML newlines were
> any combination of CR and LF, as Unix uses pure LF, Mac uses pure CR
> and Microsoft uses CR LF, and the aim was that documents in native
> format for all of these should behave the same.

Tnat's why the wording of the HTML specs doesn't make sense. If you
ignore linefeed and translate carriage-return to space as the specs say
then funny things happen when transfering a document with a linebreak
in an url from unix to mac/windows, all of a sudden a space appears in
the url.

Of course hardly anybody implements the specs luterally. Netscape,
mozilla and MSIE all ignore linefeed AND carriage return.

(XML is another matter, i've been told that XMS requires that all
linebreaks within CDATA are converted to linefeed when parsing a
document).