Re: lynx-dev Compiling with gcc 3.02

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Compiling with gcc 3.02
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:28:31 -0500

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:18:33PM +0000, Patrick Ash   wrote:
> I have been attempting to compile lynx 2.8.5 dev.7 with the new gcc
> 3.02. I am not sure if this is a lynx problem or a gcc problem, but..
>

> I can build lynx with pgcc and have no problem. When I attempt to use
> gcc 3.02 (OS/2) I get the folloing error:

> s.o LYCharUtils.o LYMap.o LYCookie.o LYStyle.o LYHash.o LYPrettySrc.o
> TRSTable.o
>  UCdomap.o UCAux.o UCAuto.o  LYExtern.o LYLocal.o
> ../WWW/Library/Implementation/
> libwww.a ../intl/libintl.a -lz -L/usr/local/lib -lncurses
> -L/openssl-0.9.6c/lib
>  -lssl -lcrypto  -lsocket
>
> ld: failure reading string table size of LYPrettySrc.o

That's probably a problem with the gcc port.  If it were LYStyle.o, I might
suggest cutting the array size down (small machines would run out of data
segment fast), but LYPrettySrc.o shouldn't have much data (it's only a couple
of kb).  So I think what's happening is that the gcc port is poorly managing
the data space, running into some 64kb limit for example for bss.

It's hard to be sure, since 'size' declines to tell me how much bss is used
in a .o file.  But because lynx (color-style especially) has a number of
large fixed-size arrays, it's got ~400kb of bss when linked.

> make[1]: *** [lynx.exe] Error 1
>

> I know that there are still some bugs in gcc 3.x. I have been able to
> build ncurses 5.2 and OpenSSL 0.9.6c with this compiler, so I think
> that it is installed correctly. Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Pat
>
> --
> Patrick Ash
> address@hidden
>
> This OS/2 system uptime is 2 days, 00:22 hours and 41 seconds

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net