Re: lynx-dev view chinese (big5, gb) in lynx

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev view chinese (big5, gb) in lynx
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:30:35 +0900 (JST)

> What options i need to enable in lynx?

If a translation of the messages is available, or you are going to do one
yourself, you'll want to compile Lynx with NLS (gettext).  FWIW, I didn't
see a translation at: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/teams/PO/.

Otherwise, just to view documents written in Chinese, [theoretically] all
you need to do is set your Display Character Set, which you can do from the
Options Menu (press 'O').  You probably will want to set CJK mode to ON.

As far as fonts and such, it will depend on your system and how you use
Lynx, i.e., from a console, X-Windows, terminal emulation, etc.  I can't
attempt an answer without more information.  Two easy routes are to install
1) Net|FreeBSD, and then set your locale for Chinese to use Lynx on the
console, or 2) Windows9?, download MSIE and the IME for it (both free from
M$), and use a terminal emulator like TeraTerm to run lynx remotely, or
use the Win32 port of Lynx directly.

__Henry