Re: lynx-dev view chinese (big5, gb) in lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev view chinese (big5, gb) in lynx
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:37:36 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Neo Sze Wee wrote:

> Is it really that easy? I am using an English system.
>
> I can only use the console and I prefer to use console. I do not have X and I
> have only install the minimal. My sytem is 486 with 4 ram and run slowly. So
> I have to install the samllest and the minimal.

You didn't give us the information we need to really help, but from
the above, I presume that you are running a DOS system, since Windows
is unlikely to run on a 486 with 4 Meg of RAM. If so, I don't know if
you are using a DOS port to lynx, or connecting to a unix ISP with
lynx running under unix. In either case, you need to set your machine
up to be able to read Chinese. For DOS, this is generally done with
the program "ZWDOS". I would suggest downloading that program and
seeing if it works on your system. It is generally available from the
IFCSS Chinese Software Archive, but that site and most of its mirrors
are down. The current version is 3.0. It is currently available from:
"http://ftp.ccu.edu.tw/pub/chinese/dos/zwdos/";

Other sofware that may be of interest to you is listed on the IFCSS web
site, but may not be readily available.
"http://www.ifcss.org/links/software/cnapps/doscsys.html";

If you are not running DOS, please send the list details about your
system, and someone may be able to help.
                         Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden