Re: lynx-dev Lynx - Sound, Mail and Fury!

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx - Sound, Mail and Fury!
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:21:40 -0500

>Forwarded message from "David J Ring Jr" <address@hidden>:

[David, I am replying on the list so others will know what I did and didn't
answer.]

>>Hi,
>>
>>I got a file with some Lynx compilation (or the Blynx config file I also
>>downloaded) that says how to hook up realplayer so that it will bind to
>>sound files in Lynx.

I have in the past heard that people did that.  I haven't.

Who here has?

>>Also, is there any way that Lynx can be used as a mail program?  I see
>>that I can use C to send a comment to a web page owner (if this has been
>>defined on that page), the "other" mail programs are terrible to use.

There is as I understand it no practical way to use Lynx as your mail program
in the sense of collecting mail from a POP3 account and reading and replying
with Lynx.  On the other hand, if you open up an account on a website that
offers you a mailbox on their website, you can deal with the website with Lynx
and send and receive mail that way.  For more information see

Web-Based Email -- Benefits and Barriers
<http://www.wata.org/pubs/articles/web-e-mail.htm>http://www.wata.org/pubs/
articles/web-e-mail.htm

I found that reference under "general information" in the lynx FAQ which starts
at

<http://lynx.isc.org/fom/cache/1.html>http://lynx.isc.org/fom/cache/1.html and
is listed in the H)elp pages of recent Lynx distributions.

>>Is there a text-only program that can be bound to Lynx so that it will
>>pick up the email addresses and allow the user to send mail?

Not that I know.

>>Also - I have used Windows Bridge 2000 - but the company went out of
>>business - I only had a German copy - so I didn't have the english
>>configuration files, but is there any screen reader that is free that has
>>a synthesizer so that I can read screens?

I have yet to hear much good about a free screen reader unless you are on DOS.
And I'm not advocating that.  Jaws for DOS is free, for example.

The websites and groups listed at Trace will give you more and better
information on this than I could.

Information Quick Sheet Index
<http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/quick_sheets>http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/quick_s
heets/

>>Lynx is great because with the blynx cfg file, I got it to number the
>>links - now I can see the links.

Good!

Your mail came from Opera.  Have you got the RealPlayer running in Opera?

Al