Re: lynx-dev Tell me about Lynx for DOS

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tell me about Lynx for DOS
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:22:47 -0500

At 11:05 AM 2002-02-16 , you wrote:
>Forwarded message from "Gerardo Vladimir Flores Barrie"
><address@hidden>:
>
>>My name is Gerardo Flores, from Mexico City. Could you please tell me
>>which version of Lynx should I download for my PC, DOS based, running
>>Windows 98? Also I would highly regard if you told me which source can I
>>read to learn to configure it, and use it, and finally which other files
>>should I download to get the help I need.
>>
>>Respectfully, Gerardo Flores Barrie

Note that what you want is what Lynx calls Win32.  Windows 98 does not need or
want a binary that is advertised as a DOS version.  Doug Kaufman has explained
all that.

The best summary I know of at the moment is the one from Doug:

 Doug Kaufman's Web Site - DOS ports
 http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/index.html

   [...] If you
   are trying to run lynx under Windows95, Windows98, or WindowsNT, this
   is not the site you want. For Windows ports of lynx, see Wayne
   Buttles' site, Jim Spath's site, or the binary from Senshu
   Hiroyuki.

Doug's site is the best explained one that I found with links to all the above
three.

On the other hand. read further down the thread

 http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month022002/threads.html#00062

for discussion of yet another option using Cygwin.

Al