Re: lynx-dev Is Lynx being developed for OS-X for Macintosh?

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Is Lynx being developed for OS-X for Macintosh?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:12:33 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 04:25:23PM -0600, Fiber McGee wrote:
>> Forwarded message from <address@hidden>:
>>
>> >Please let me know.
>
>I don't recall if anyone's reported this (there have been a half-dozen
>reports for ncurses, so it's doable, though there seems to be an intermediate
>packager which is doing fixups, so perhaps ports rely upon those).

Though this may change in the future, in currently released builds of
Mac OS X, curses (not ncurses, if I remember correctly -- I admittedly don't
know tons about either) is built directly into the system.

The one trick is that it is in the System.framework, which is
implicitly linked into projects..

Basically, I got it to compile a long time ago..  I don't remember what
troubles there were, admittedly..  It was by far one of the easier things
to port.

But again, I am JUST talking about lynx from the command line, not
any kind of "run in a separate window" app.

AAAAH -- even easier.

go to fink.sourceforge.net, and you can find out about a more automated
way of getting packages.

Found 4 packages that match "lynx":

 links - Lynx-like text WWW browser with tables
 links-ssl - Lynx-like text WWW browser with tables
 lynx - Console based web browser
 lynx-ssl - Console based web browser (SSL-enabled)

So you can get all of these, precompiled..  And the fink package manager
thing handles all dependent libraries (e.g. it will get ncurses, which
these compilations use).