Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:27:52 +0900 (JST)

> start on it again. Help is welcome. There doesn't seem to be
> much interest in JS support as far as I can tell, however.

"Not much interest in JS support" does not really express my feeling.
While I may be considered "a stick in the mud", I think it is a more
constructive effort to try to rid the Internet of Javascript completely
rather than attempt to support it.  Providing support for Javascript
means you approve of it, IMHO.

But as a programming exercise, I don't want to dampen your spirit.  Just
the other day I had to wade through some Javascript to download a file
I absolutely needed.  Perhaps this concrete example will illustrate how
robust your implementation would need to be to make it useful.  Please
realize that this is a _simple_ example.  Most sites require going about
three levels deep, all javascript, to get to what you really want.

__Henry

Example of using Lynx to manually retrieve information hidden in Javascript.
First generate the necessary form based on the original Asus document:
        http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_alllist.asp
<form name="form2" method="post" action="mb_dl_menu.asp">
<input type="hidden" name="l1" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="l2" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="l3" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="mid" value="">
</form>

Then hardcode the values, or alternately change the type from hidden to
select, etc.  The order of the values to hardcode in was obtained from:
function download(mid, l2id,l3id)
{
        var strlnk
        document.form2.l1.value = 1
        document.form2.l2.value = l2id
        document.form2.l3.value = l3id
        document.form2.mid.value = mid
        document.form2.submit()
}

The values for the various motherboards can be found by searching the
document "mb_alllist.asp" for the motherboard you want, e.g., "KN97-X":
       javascript:download(4,2,9)

By manually entering the values, and then submitting the form, get a page
with links to download information:
        Link: ASUS Software | Motherboard Sofeware download menu

>From here just view the document source to find the file names and ftp
sites.

<rant>
All of this could have been done in one elegant page!  But of course then
they couldn't harvest your e-mail address to sell to spammers.  Moral of
the story: avoid buying ASUS products as much as possible.  Of course almost
all makers are the same, so you can't buy motherboards.  Catch 22.
</rant>