Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:55:41 -0500

020305 Harland Christofferson wrote:
> I had intended to start working on it with an older version of Lynx
> late last year between contract gigs.
> A new gig came up and I have not had the time to get back into it.
> I am willing to start on it again. Help is welcome.
> There doesn't seem to be much interest in JS support, however.

don't let anyone put you off: even very limited JS support in Lynx
would be very welcome to many users, not only the blind.

otherwise, i've been trying out Opera 6.0 (free with ads),
which is much better than 5.0 & should be good for blind users,
as all commands have keystroke equivalents which are user-configurable.

even so, i still find Lynx much faster for my daily read of the news:
no images to distract (unless you grab them deliberately),
fast movement within & between documents
& ability to call up Mutt to e-mail stories to friends
(which Opera explicitly cannot do for some reason:
yes, you can define a mailer, but no, you can't import the story).
i have broadband, but Lynx remains the best browser for this purpose.