lynx-dev Re: Lynx 2.8.3 [Win32 question]

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx 2.8.3 [Win32 question]
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:36:09 -0500

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 05:54:30PM -0600, Fiber McGee wrote:
> Forwarded message from "TSAO,YU-KANG (HP-USA,ex1)" <address@hidden>:
> >Hi Lynx:
> >I go to http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/
> ><http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/>  and download ly283rel.zip to my
> >windows 2000 notebook and follow instruction to configure it.  I can create
> >shortcut for lynx.exe but I can not do the following:
> >====================================================
> >Once you have a shortcut to a batch file that runs lynx.exe, you
> >    can then modify the properties of that shortcut to allow pasting by
> >    going to Misc->Other->Fast (Win98: Properties->Misc->FastPasting)
> >    pasting and turning it off.
> >====================================================
> >and I can not run lynx and it can not connect to lynx.browser.org and any
> >other site.  Can you help me to make it work ?  Thanks.
> >Can this version of lynx run on windows 2000 professional ?  Thanks.
> >Sincerely,
> >Yu-Kang

Oh, that's me! (I think I broke the thread on the reply - sorry)

There is a slightly newer version (but not as new as it could be) of
Lynx on my page, version 2.8.4pre5. I have that version running on
a Windows 2000 professional laptop right now. Here are some of the
shortcut values I have set:

Shortcut: C:\lynx\lynx.bat
Start in: C:\lynx

Cursor size: Small
Display options: Window
Edit Options: QuickEditMode, Insert Mode

Here's my lynx.bat:

@ECHO OFF
set term=vt100
set home=c:\lynx
set temp=c:\tmp
set lynx_cfg=c:\lynx\lynx.cfg
c:\lynx\lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

I don't see the FastPasting option under W2K shortcut properties.
I can cut and paste to and from the Lynx text window.

I assume that you have network connectivity on your machine?

Does this work from a DOS text window:

====
C:\>ping -n 2 lynx.browser.org

Pinging lynx.browser.org [195.40.122.44] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 195.40.122.44:
    Minimum = 210ms, Maximum =  271ms, Average =  240ms

====

  This would show name server responsiveness as well as network
paths are working.

  Running the following command (or one like it) should start
Lynx browsing on a local directory:

C:\> c:\lynx\lynx.bat c:\

  If this fails, then your executable is probably broken.

------
<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/db/users/net/bcpl/jspath/face.xbm>
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: