Re: lynx-dev Q: lynx shopping?

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Q: lynx shopping?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:21:12 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Eduardo [iso-8859-1] P?rez wrote:
>On 2002-03-11 12:29:17 -0800, Matt Ackeret wrote:
>> I am virtually positive I have bought things on amazon.com in the past using
>> lynx.  I had to have SSL compiled in, and I *probably* had to have Mozilla
>> in the User-Agent.
>
>Why is not Mozilla in the User-Agent by default?

Wow, this one is really a hard decision.  As much as I want to "do the
right thing", and have it be truthful, I probably lean towards this being
the default.

Or maybe for new lynx users (*are* there any new lynx users anymore or is
it all us fogies?), make them read a README the first time they launch it
that lists an "if you hae problems" list, one of them being the user agent
hack.

>Most other browsers like MSIE or Konqueror have moved this way to work
>better with some servers.

I think iCab (the Mac alternate GUI browser that I use the vast majority of
the time when I use a GUI browser) defaults to its own useragent.