Re: lynx-dev Q: lynx shopping?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Q: lynx shopping?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:59:31 +0900 (JST)

> >> An example I can think of is wellsfargo.com.  They only support IE (and
> >
> >Use another bank, or use another browser.  If people want what Mozilla
> >does, then they ought to use Mozilla.  It does not benefit Lynx to falsely
> >identify itself.
>
> Get real.

What, there's no other bank out there than WFB?  If you wish to discuss
security at WFB, I would be happy to take the discussion off list.  I may
be able to open your eyes to some pretty scary things going on there,
though not concerning e-banking in the sense of using a web site.  If
you have your entire nestegg with them, I sincerely recommend that you
begin the process of spreading it out among one or two other banks.

> It benefits *ME*.  I am the user, I have the say.

You misunderstand. (I hope.)  I thought we were talking about the _default_
User-Agent id string.  You are not the only user by any means.  I don't
think it is fair to ask everyone to use a lynx which misrepresents it's
capabilities.  Each individual user has the privilege of easily changing
the User-Agent Header that is sent by visiting the O)ptions page.  If you
wish to change it permanently to something that suits you, that can be
done at compile time.  (This is most certainly valid, particularly if you
have modified the source code.)  Sorry, but my vote stands against changing
the User-Agent id string that the source code ships with.

__Henry