Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?

From: Lloyd Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:17:48 -0500

In addition to looking deep into the code, I think you should look at
the facilities for running the selected link through an external
program.  This is activated by hitting period on the link, but
there's more documentation, and it may not always be compiled in.
I'm thinking that some external program might be able to parse the
command line you throw at it, run wget and present a new page to
Lynx.

I haven't been able to get Lynx to compile under Cygwin lately;
possibly the connection with NCurses is broken.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:15:39 -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:

>       I just installed the lynx-cur.tgz version of lynx which
>is lynx2-8-5 on a FreeBSD system without any problem.
>
>       I figure if I am going to do any hacking, I might as well
>hack on the current version.
>
>       Since I really don't know that much about javascript yet,
>and several people have said that lynx needs a rewrite, etc, it
>seems like the plan should be to try to keep as much as what is
>known to be good working.  In other words, let's not throw the
>baby out with the bath water.
>
>       It is one thing to use a program and quite another to
>need to modify one so that it still works properly at what it
>used to do while gaining new functionality.
>
>       I have not set up and compiled lynx with debugging, yet,
>so I don't know the flow of the program, but ideally, it should
>have modular sections that allow one to insert new modules which
>take input that isn't fit to continue processing, fix it, and
>send it on to existing modules that hopefully can now handle it.
>
>       The first thing that I can imagine doing is to break the
>operations in to blocks that work as independently of each other
>as possible with each block taking the output of the preceding
>engine as its input.
>
>       My idea is that what has been done over all these years
>is very good and there was probably a good reason for doing it
>the way it was done.  Now, how can it be made infinitely
>extensible?  I don't want much, do I?
>
>       Some programs have documentation files called
>"hacking.this" or "hacking.that" that suggest things one can do
>to stay out of trouble,
>etc.  Are there any such documents anywhere?  There is no point
>in remaking the same mistakes everyone else has already made.  I
>like to make new mistakes when possible.  It keeps life
>interesting.
>
>Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
>OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
home:  <address@hidden> <http://lras.home.sprynet.com/>
Work:  <address@hidden>         <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>