Re: lynx-dev Lynx.trace cookie Re: yahoo lists, every 4th message

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx.trace cookie Re: yahoo lists, every 4th message
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:42:42 +0000

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:30:41AM -0500, Bob wrote:
> lynx <options> "${BASE}${URL}"

> repeated returns an ad page again, using either lynx or curl.

> That URL only returns the *REAL* "${BASE}${URL}",
> not the ad page, when called again from within the page.
> Diffing Lynx.trace files looks to me like a cookie is what
> allows the second request for the same URL to be honored
> with the real URL being sent by yahoo instead of the ad
> page.

That is correct.  This is the very "problem" I was addressing
with my "semi-persistent session cookies" patch sent to the list
on 15 Feb 2002.  Also, this patch helps with Yahoo's sequence
of redirects for authorisation which you've also discovered.

You just need a script which calls

then analyses the result and requests the URL again if Yahoo
sent you the ad instead of the message.  This assumes that you
have the persistent cookies option turned on and a cookie file
defined, of course.

imc