Re: lynx-dev HTTP_REFERER for pages that are result of form submission v

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HTTP_REFERER for pages that are result of form submission via GET
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 19:21:06 +0500 (SAMST)

On 8 Apr 2002, clemensF wrote:

> > Vlad Harchev:
>
> > > NO_REFERER_HEADER:FALSE
> > > REFERER_WITH_QUERY:SEND
> > >
> > > that doesn't do it??  what happens?  remember, if you're a micro$oft
> >
> >  It doesn't help as I said earlier. Here is another time I quote
> > documentation:
> >
> > # If NO_REFERER_HEADER is TRUE, Referer headers never will be sent in
> > # transmissions to servers.  Lynx normally sends the URL of the document
> > # from which the link was derived, but not for startfile URLs, 'g'oto
> > # URLs, 'j'ump shortcuts, bookmark file links, history list links, or
> > # URLs that include the content from form submissions with method GET.
> >
> >  This means lynx won't ever send referer for "URLs that include the content
> > >from form submissions with method GET".
>
> i read this as "normally not", but not "never".  i hope someone finds the
> time to trace this.  did you yourself toggle the tracer (^T) and analyse
> the log?  if that fails, it's time for the source.  if you prepare the
> action, ie. send relevant trace-logs, i might be tempted to give it a try.

 Here are the files:

 Put the following in $server_root/cgi-bin/ft1 (and mark executable):
-------------------
#!/bin/sh

echo -e "Content-type: text/html;\n\n"
-------------------

 Put the following to $server_root/cgi-bin/ftg (marking executable) - it will
dump what vars are passed to CGI by server (an analogue of the 2nd stage
of the script):
--------------------
#!/bin/sh

echo -e "Content-type: text/plain;\n\n"
set
--------------------

 Now at the 'g'  prompt enter the URL:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/ft1?a=v

 - the $HTTP_REFERER won't be among the env vars passed to /cgi-bin/ftg.

 Now at the 'g'  prompt enter the URL (i.e. the same URL, but without any
parameters):

http://localhost/cgi-bin/ft1

 - the $HTTP_REFERER *WILL BE* be among the env vars passed to /cgi-bin/ftg.

 You can create the trace yourself if needed.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad