Re: lynx-dev mailto:address@hidden subject line

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mailto:address@hidden subject line
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 22:18:58 +0100 (BST)

> In the above mailto URL Lynx displays a variety of behaviors
> depending on whether the url is quoted or not, but never actually
> displays the correct subject line with embedded spaces.

Seems to me that it is behaving strictly according to the book.

Without the quotes, it's an SGML violation (:, @, ?, = and space are
all invalid in unquoted parameter values), but even reasonable error
recovery for that error has to stop at the first space and treat "is",
"a" and "test" as being non-standard attributes with IMPLIED values.

Spaces aren't valid in URLs because they could be lost or accidentally
inserted if documents are printed, sent as non-MIME email, etc.  Ignoring
them seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  I haven't checked for special
case exceptions for mailto, but I don't think there are any - I think you
have to use %20.

What you are really asking for is bugwise compatibility with the big 2.
If you are authoring this page, please make it conform, rather than ask
Lynx to cope with common malpractice.