Re: lynx-dev Mailing from Lynx with Pine

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mailing from Lynx with Pine
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:36:59 +0100 (BST)

> I don't think so [see above]; I think the References: header is stolen from
> NNTP, where it contains as many as possible prior articles including the
> immediately previous one.

No.  It is defined in RFC 822 which predates the current USENET format
(NB NNTP doesn't specify any headers, their specified in a different RFC!)
This particular distinction has always been a problem for threading email.
In fact the RFC 822 definition doesn't require that the references be
on a single direct ancestral path, only that they be referenced.