Re: lynx-dev Mailing from Lynx with Pine

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mailing from Lynx with Pine
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:02:09 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Henry Nelson said:

> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:41:01 +0900 (JST)
>
> > > More directly, why would someone want to mail from Lynx with Pine (or
> > > Mutt or Elm)?  Why not just mail with Pine straight off?
> > >
> > "Mailto:" URLs?
>
> In other words, Lynx's native support of "mailto:"; URLs is too clumsy?

No, merely personal preference.  I'd like to be able to use the same MUA
with all applications that support E-mail responses.  Lynx is justified
in supplying a rudimentary mailer.  But when a user asks, "Why doesn't
Lynx do what Pine does for feature X?" the proper answer is to be able
to tell that user how to use Pine as Lynx's MUA.

> Or lynxcgi's, lynxprog's and/or pseudo-proxies are too hard to set up?

I don't claim to be a Lynx expert; I just hack it occasionally.  :-)
I got a lynxcgi to work once; I don't see how it applies to the activity
resulting from selecting a mailto: URL.  I can find mention of neither
"lynxprog" nor "pseudo=prox[yi]" in "Lynx Users Guide v2.8.4".

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL