Re: lynx-dev Mailing from Lynx with Pine

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mailing from Lynx with Pine
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:23:44 +0900 (JST)

> mutt
> presents me with a complete RFC-822 text in my favourite editor, where i
> can do with the headers whatever i want.  then comes an empty line so the
> mailer knows that the body begins, and the body itself.  i like that.

Yes, even a reactionary like myself threw "mail" out the window after using
mutt. Still, I can't see any problem with using the EXTERNAL command to run a
script which supplies mutt with a subject line and whatever else it needs on
the command line.

> could the reason for lynx' mailer doing headers extra be error handling?
> for a novice i can see the advantage.

Perhaps. Mainly, though, I think the MUA was originally designed with the
idea of allowing anonymous users to mail from a public-access Lynx.

No one is going to argue that Lynx's mailer is more than rudimentary. In the
past I vaguely remember arguments that it should be stripped from Lynx (as
should news support) because it doesn't follow the RFCs. I don't think that
the arguments were adequately addressed. A few years ago I recall that mail
was the cause of a rather annoying bug (something about allowing the insertion
of control characters, which then made it possible to insert and/or tamper
with headers at will?).

In short, I'm not totally down on Eduardo's patch. Quite the contrary, if
there were more people with more time available, ideally Lynx would do
exactly what everyone's asking for in a secure manner, and the presently
inadequate MUA support would be stripped from Lynx entirely, including the
relic "c" command, and the "LYNXPRINT://MAIL_FILE/" under the "p" command.
What implications would this have for the Windows and DOS ports I don't
know. I just hate seeing Lynx take on yet another stop-gap, "experimental"
feature.

__Henry