Re: lynx-dev downloading and metadata

From: Walter Ian Kaye
Subject: Re: lynx-dev downloading and metadata
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 20:37:53 -0700

At 04:08p -0400 04/27/2002, Thomas Dickey didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 12:45:24PM -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
 > Speaking of downloading, I've wondered about something.
 >
 > If a server sends a Last-Modified header with a file, can that be
 > used to set the file's modification date when it's downloaded?

I suppose so - but browsing around and looking at the related info, I
haven't found the last-modified item to be very reliable.

Is that because it wasn't designed to be?
Is there any other way to get that metadata?

 > And if so, could that be extended so that additional headers supply
 > more metadata?

for instance?

For instance, all of a filesystem's metadata. (Some ask why; I ask why not.)

At 08:55p -0400 04/27/2002, Al Gilman didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

[talking through my hat] Are you a customer for rsync?  for SRB?

http://www.npaci.edu/DICE/SRB/

Never heard of it (them?), but it looks kinda interesting.

Like Tom, I wouldn't invest a lot in trusting what webservers give you for Last-Modified.

Maybe it's time to define a set of file metadata headers?
It's something I've often thought about (and even scribbled about somewhere).
Like, "FileMeta-Date-Modified:" and "FileMeta-Mac-Creator:" etc.

-Walter