Re: lynx-dev LYNX: can lynx optionally *ignore* temp-screenwidth?

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: can lynx optionally *ignore* temp-screenwidth?
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:41:28 +0100

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 03:49:26AM -0400, David Combs wrote:
> Now, I see something in lynx that I want to download
> (eg something from Salon) and email to a friend.
>
> So I have screenwidth at 79 ("nowide") so that lynx
> will produce something easy to read on normal
> 8x11 paper.

> But, with all that "references:" stuff at the
> bottom, plus the usual garbage so many downloaded

I don't get that References: stuff at the bottom
when I "p"rint a page to disk; but when you are
using "lynx -dump" you can turn this off with the
"-nolist" flag.

> But since vi or emacs works *far* better
> with cols set to full actual screen-width,
> I have to change it.

[big snip]

> Would be *very* nice if lynx had a command
> by which I could tell it "freeze what you
> *now* think as the width

It sounds to me like this is the wrong workaround.
What you probably want lynx to do instead is either
(a) to respect the "-width" flag even in interactive
mode, or (b) to re-render the document respecting the
"-width" flag whenever you "p"rint it.

I expect (a) would be easier to implement.

imc