Re: lynx-dev Links activate incorrectly

From: Serge Munhoven
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Links activate incorrectly
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:58:53 +0200

[...]

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 08:50:27AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>  On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:37:29PM +0200, Serge Munhoven wrote:
[...]
> > Maybe this can be overridden by an explicit
> > <base href="http://www.srsb.org.uk/";> in the <head> of the document.
>
> maybe - but there is none.

I know.  I just wanted to suggest a possible workaround to what IMHO is a
server bug or misconfiguration.  Since I don't have/use IIS, I could not test
it.

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:05:06PM +0100, Peter Norrington wrote:

> Dear Serge,
>
> Thanks for the help. (RFC's are a bit over my head at the moment. However...)
> tried the suggestion on one test page only. I could now access all the other
> unaltered pages. Is this unexpected? (I'm not sure I'll understand the
> answer, but
> it may help lynx-dev to know this.)
>
> The difficulty with this is that I would have to change ALL pages (in case the
> site is not entered by the front page) with an explicit <base href=...> ,
> making
> the site hard to test off-line. If it's a choice between this and nothing, no
> problem, but any other ideas would be welcome.

As Ian wrote, the problem only occurs when accessing http://www.srsb.org.uk or
http://www.srsb.org.uk/ and not when accessing
http://www.srsb.org.uk/index.html.  It seems not to occur with any page
containing an explicit filename (i.e. not pointing to a directory, in which
case the server has to decide according to its configuration which file
to return, if any).  In short, in this case, "fixing" only the file index.html
corresponding to http://www.srsb.org.uk/ should be enough.  If there were
any subdirectories with an index.html file the same would apply to those too.
As you remarked, off-line testing needs the <base href= ...> to be removed.
Best would of course be to have your ISP fix its server ...

Hope this helps,

 - Serge

PS: For those interested, the following message about a related issue discusses
a bit how "de facto" (or rather not) this "standard" feature is:
http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-coders/2001-November/000460.html