lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)

From: Frank Heckenbach
Subject: lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 05:42:30 +0200

Hi,

I've upgraded to lynx 2.8.4. I'm very pleased with the new features
(including tables, file upload, SSL), but I'm having one real
problem and some smaller issues.

System information:

Linux goedel 2.4.17 #14 Mon Feb 18 14:22:22 MET 2002 i586 unknown

gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

ncurses-5.2

./configure --enable-cgi-links --disable-full-paths --enable-charset-choice
--enable-file-upload \
            --enable-nested-tables --enable-nls --enable-nsl-fork
--enable-read-eta \
            --enable-scrollbar --enable-source-cache --with-ssl --with-zlib
--silent

Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.6a
Built on linux-gnulibc1 May 15 2002 06:32:25

Problem:

When I upload files, they seem to be sent base64 encoded. However, I
don't see any hint at this encoding in the MIME headers or the
environment variables. Attached is a log of the stdin and the
environment variables passed to a test CGI program, when trying with
lynx and Netscape. AFAICS, there's no way for the CGI to tell that
one is base64 encoded and the other is not. Also some 3rd party CGIs
(e.g., the validator at http://validator.w3.org) don't seem to cope
with lynx uploaded files.

Looking at the source, the following code in src/GridText.c looks
suspicious to me:

   if (MultipartContentType) {
       StrAllocCat(escaped1, MultipartContentType);
       StrAllocCat(escaped1, "\r\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: base64");
   }

   [...]

   base64_encode(base64buf, buffer, bytes);  /* unconditional */

In fact I tested that MultipartContentType is NULL in my case. But I
don't understand enough of the code to tell whether this is wrong
already, or whether the quoted conditional or the unconditional
base64_encode is the problem.

Small issues:

1.)
A HTML page containing a file upload form is shown as:

   [FILE Input] (Not yet implemented.)[49]____________________

even though is it in fact implemented.

2.)
When leaving a file input field empty, lynx says "Can't open file
for uploading". (Background: Some web pages offer a form with
several file inputs, so one can upload several files at once.
However, if one wants to upload less files, one can just leave some
of the fields empty. This doesn't work with lynx.)

3.)
When I go to a normal input field, I can just start typing, but in a
file input field, I have to press enter first. When I use `-tna', it
requires enter in both kinds of inputs, but I'd like to never have
to press enter first. Is this possible?

4.)
Table cells containing <br> tags cause a staircase effect, e.g:

gives:

   abc
   def
   ghi jkl
       mno
       pqr stu
           vwx
           yz.

I see that INSTALLATION says:

  --enable-nested-tables
   Extends TRST to format nested tables, as well as be smarter about
   <BR> and <P> tags in table cells.

but I'm not sure what this means. I don't know what TRST is, or
whether I need to set something in lynx.cfg ...

Frank

--
Frank Heckenbach, address@hidden
http://fjf.gnu.de/