Re: lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 06:48:50 -0400

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 06:18:42AM +0200, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > no - my fixes were addressing a complaint that some sites did not accept
> > the mime-encoded data, and comparing against netscape decided that was
> > the issue.  Possibly as you suggest, the MIME headers are missing, but
> > at least plain text can be uploaded (limited testing).
>
> I think that's still the case in 2.8.5dev.7. I'm not sure which
> kinds of files lynx encodes -- I had thought no files at all needed
> to be encoded, provided a non-conflicting MIME boundary was chosen,
> but I may be wrong. Anyway, there still don't seem to be any MIME
> headers referring to the encoding, so uploading only works with
> non-encoded files now.

agree - then I need to find a good reference for how the headers should be
setup for uploading with MIME encoding.  (The MIME boundary that I think
you're referring to is hardcoded - not good, but not necessarily the
source of the problem).

> It's not unlikely that some sites won't be able to deal with encoded
> files at all -- in fact, my own CGIs don't since I didn't even think
> of the possibility of encoding before and I hadn't encountered it so
> far. I'll add it in my programs (as soon as lynx supports the MIME
> headers so I can test it), but some other sites might not. So it
> might in fact be better if lynx won't encode any files (unless there
> are problems with non-text files that I'm not aware of).

things like carriage-return/line-feed sequences would tend to be garbled

> > I was thinking of
> > revisiting it to make a file-selection dialog, but have been very swamped
> > with my day-job since February (so my to-do list only grows ;-).
>
> That would be a nice feature, but (at least to me) not so imporant
> as a working way to determine the encoding and correctly handle the
> uploaded files ...

but it certainly would make it simpler to test

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net