Re: lynx-dev Netscape bookmarks conversion?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Netscape bookmarks conversion?
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 07:21:47 -0400

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 03:18:44AM +0200, Lawrence Mayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Dillo, Links, Lynx, and Netscape on FreeBSD. So far, all my
> bookmarks are in Netscape, but I would love to be able to share my
> bookmarks between these 4 browsers.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice?
>
> 1. Will Netscape's bookmark import do me any good here?
>
> 2. Any utilities which CONVERT bookmarks back and forth between the above
> browsers, or at least some of them?
>
> 3. Any utilities which SYNCHRONIZE bookmarks between the above browsers,
> or at least some of them?

I haven't seen any.  Netscape's bookmarks are an html document, so I
occasionally browse it directly.  'links' doesn't browse files (I've only found
a use for it as an external viewer run from lynx).  w3m can browse it about as
well as lynx (neither recognizes the Netscape-specific folding extensions).
A nice aspect of w3m's implementation is that they store multiple bookmarks
all in one file (like Netscape) using the headers.

Both w3m and lynx (like Netscape) store bookmarks as an html file.  links
doesn't (each time I look at links, I see another thing that I can use as a bad
example).

I've dillo on another machine (will keep in mind to see how it treats the
file).

That's for viewing - but for updating - I don't know.

> I would be thankful for your advice or tips.
>
> Friendly Greetings,
> Lawrence Mayer <address@hidden>
> UmeƄ, Sweden

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>