Re: lynx-dev any way to download *.asf files by "mms://" protocol?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev any way to download *.asf files by "mms://" protocol?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:39:46 +0900 (JST)

> > It would be nice to download sample audio files for listening at a later
>
> Many audio files, and I think .asf are amongst those, are intended only
> to be streamed in real time.  One reason for that is almost certainly

As Tom mentioned (Thanks, Tom, so I know I'm not the only one.) some .asf
files are accessible and others are not.  I was hoping someone had figured
out a way to get them consistently.

Probably it is the way the "web server" is set up, and no fooling around
in Lynx will do anything.  Sony has at least one site (bit.sonymusic) where
the .asf files can be downloaded with Lynx, but the example I sent earlier,
another Sony site, baffles me.

> The more user oriented advantage of streaming is that the contents of
> the stream can be tweaked to account for the exact bandwidth available.

Not sure what you mean here.  The main reason I like to download the file
is so that I can listen to the full 30 seconds at one time.  Our link is
so slow that I seem to get most of them in three 10-second chunks.  Makes
it hard to make a decent judgement.

__Henry