Re: lynx-dev Need help feeding lynx a cookie

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Need help feeding lynx a cookie
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:05:43 -0400

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 05:56:05AM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> I'm looking for some help on how to go about updating my lynx configuration
> so that it recognizes http://mail.yahoo.com/ cookies.
>
> This has been an ongoing battle.  Yahoo changes their cookies every
> 6 months to a year.  Each time, they create even more broken cookies,
> and then I struggle to figure out how to update my lynx configuration
> so that the new cookies are recognized.
>
> My current .lynxrc file says:
>
> cookie_accept_domains=.yahoo.com,.hotmail.com,.tripod.com,.passport.com,.msn.com
> cookie_loose_invalid_domains=.remarq.com,.groups.yahoo.com,.us.f19.mail.yahoo.com,.f19.mail.yahoo.com,.mail.yahoo.com,.yahoo.com
> cookie_query_invalid_domains=.mail.yahoo.com,.groups.yahoo.com,.yahoo.com
>
> When I visit mail.yahoo.com, I see one remaining cookie prompt:
>
> Accept invalid cookie domain=.mail.yahoo.com for 'us.f91.mail.yahoo.com'? (n)
>

> Lynx is eating the remaining cookies.
>
> I am at a loss at what I need to give lynx.  Can someone teach me how
> to use the -trace output, or whatever other tools lynx provides, so that
> I can tell lynx not to ask for this cookie?  Thank you!

I guess it is not exactly human-readable.  The trace only makes sense
to me if I look up messages in the source-code and read that.

Reading the code, I see the check in src/LYCookies.c which is causing
the prompt - FAILS_COND4 - which says in effect:

        There is a "." in "us.f91.mail.yahoo.com" before the string
        ".mail.yahoo.com" - that is questionable.

Working backwards, it appears that if the code found an entry for
".mail.yahoo.com" marked in the trace something like

        cookie_domain_flag_set (.mail.yahoo.com, bv=2, invcheck_bv=2)

it would work as you want.  The last "2" is INVCHECK_LOOSE.
A "0" tells it to query (INVCHECK_QUERY).  So the first thing to check
is whether you're getting that trace line.  (If you are, then I guess
there's reason to check if the code isn't overwriting that later - a
bug).  To make it simple to see what's really going on, I suggest adding
a CTRACE at the bottom of the find_domain_entry() function, e.g.,
right before the "return de;":

        CTRACE((tfp, "find_domain_entry(%s) bv:%d, invcheck_bv:%d\n", name,
                de ? de->bv : -1,
                de ? de->invcheck_bv : -1));

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>