Re: please no spaces in filenames! was Re: lynx-dev Handling non html l

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: please no spaces in filenames! was Re: lynx-dev Handling non html links
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 16:42:02 -0400

At 12:51 PM 2002-08-01, you wrote:
>In a recent note, clemens fischer said:
>
>> Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:49:31 +0200
>>
>> but it's not standa ...  hey!  ok, the hair on my neck rises when i see
>> spaces in filenames, but computers are for people and not the other way
>> around.  also, i would love to be able to associate catchy phrases with
>> some files/entities, if only so i can remember them better.  then again, i
>>
>You're certainly permitted to do that.  But URLs are for computers and
>not for people, so spaces in filenames should be encoded when they
>appear in URLs.

Well, URLs are for people as well as for computers.

Find 'napkin' in

 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

However, the place to be friendly to people is on the command line, where
people are manually entering URLs or pasting file names from their spelling
in the OS displays.  Here the intake processor can %20 escape blanks in a
user-entered URI-reference.

[That much is a FAQ.]

Invalid URI-reference values in HREF etc. attributes in HTML is another
question.

How much error recovery User Agents should perform for broken HTML in web pages
is a question on which people may reasonably differ.  Or at least they do.

<http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/search?type-index=www-tag&index-type=t&keywords=error+recovery&search=Search>

It's not clear how much we accomplish other than conservation of codeToMaintain
by
doing anything stricter than bug-for-bug compatibility with the leading brand.

Al