Re: lynx-dev address@hidden: lynx: display charset <-> doc. charset conv

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev address@hidden: lynx: display charset <-> doc. charset conversion using iconv]
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:37:08 +0900 (JST)

> current Lynx, Japanese users have to switch manually the terminal charset
> (most Japanese terminals support multile encodings/charset) between EUC-JP
> and Shift_JIS.

This is not true.  My display character set is always Japanese (EUC-JP),
and I can view pages written in euc-jp, sjis (even former problems with
half-width katakana have been fixed?) or iso-2022-jp, or even mixed,
without problem, i.e., without switching the display character set.  I
can use this same Lynx at either a Unix console or via a terminal
emulator on a DOS or Windoze machine.  It's probably the main reason
I chose Lynx back in 1995.  Thanks Mr. Asada, and all the others before
and after, for "CJK" support.

The main point of your message is wonderful; universality is best.  But
someone has to implement it.

__Henry