Re: lynx-dev Error opening terminal on a Solaris

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Error opening terminal on a Solaris
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:25:24 -0400

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 10:26:57AM -0600, Al Cooper wrote:
> I built Lynx using the pkgadd from www.sunfreeware.com.  It was a simple
> uncompress/pkgadd install.  I do not have ncurses installed, unless it was
> packaged with the install program.

It may have been, or else lynx may have been statically linked against ncurses.
It's simple enough to check ("ldd lynx" for the former, or "nm lynx" for the
latter).

> Any ideas on how to get the program working?

yes - setting $TERMINFO, e.g.,
        setenv TERMINFO /usr/share/lib/terminfo
in your .cshrc file.  That's assuming the problem is as I said.  You can
see this by doing a "strings lynx" (if "ldd lynx" doesn't show that it is
linked against libcurses), and looking for pathnames that contain "terminfo".

However, I'm reasonably sure of this - one of my accounts is on a machine
where someone's installed a lot of stuff from sunfreeware, including lynx,
which is linked against libncurses.so.5, which in turn assumes the terminfo
data is under /opt/sfw/share/terminfo.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net